Secrets and Hope in Our Mad World

Early in 2017 I read George Marshall’s book ‘Don’t Even Think About It: Why We are Wired Not to Think About Climate Change’ and I decided I would think about it. And I would read about it. Then I would write about it.

I write as a 'non-expert' and I'm hoping that your comments will help me to see whether the insights I've

gained make sense, whether the conclusions stack up and whether it's realistic for me to start feeling

hopeful about the future .

Be good to hear from you!


Early in 2017 I read George Marshall's book 'Don't Even Think About it: Why our brains are wired to ignore climate change’.  In it he described why we get on with our everyday lives perhaps paying attention to some of the problems of the world but rarely thinking about just what underlies it all.  The book was a turning point for me. I decided I would think about it.  I would read about it. And then I would write about it. Many people believe we are living at a great turning point in human history and I feel the need to understand.

As I began to uncover some of the workings of life 21st century style I've felt an increasing sense of urgency as events have threatened to overwhelm me. Confusion has sometimes set in and I’ve often wandered down paths difficult to understand … the workings of financial services ...the threat of information technology to our democracy … the rise of populism.
I've had to comfort myself with the knowledge that I am not alone in finding these tangled webs difficult and that some questions will remain unanswered.
I'm hoping that by publishing my musings I'll be encouraged by your comments (even those which disagree with me!) and that I can spread the feeling of hope for the future which I'm beginning to feel. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Here is a US site which looks interesting, http://www.sustainablebrands.com/
    do you think this might help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Nick. I'll take a look. Please keep your comments coming. I need all the help I can get!

      Delete

Good to have your feedback. Thanks for commenting.