Secrets and Hope in Our Mad World

Early in 2017 I read George Marshall’s book ‘Don’t Even Think About It: Why We are Wired Not to Think About Climate Change’ and I decided I would think about it. And I would read about it. Then I would write about it.

I write as a 'non-expert' and I'm hoping that your comments will help me to see whether the insights I've

gained make sense, whether the conclusions stack up and whether it's realistic for me to start feeling

hopeful about the future .

Keeping Mentally Healthy

Matt Haig's book 'Notes on a Nervous Planet' is my next book to read. (In the unlikely event that you've not come across it, it's all about how to survive and stay sane in our mad world. Just up my street!)   I guess that the fact it's such a big seller reflects on the state of our mental health.  So many of us are not doing too well.
My big questions, and the ones I've been struggling with for the past couple of years, are: 
  • Does a better understanding of what's going on in our crazy world help us to change the way we live and bring us to a calmer, happier, place?'  
  • Is my search for understanding helping my mental health? 
Lots of what I've been reading has left me feeling pretty depressed and overwhelmed. What the hell are Brexit and T***p all about (my blog is a T free zone!) How can I get a grip on this?!  But then I've come across all the good stuff.  All those writers who are questionning where we get our ideas from. All those writers who are shining the light on how our democracy is being undermined by a powerful, wealthy, elite.  All those people who are seeing through the promise that excessive material consumption will bring happiness. All those people who are downsizing, developing local communities and volunteering to give support and care to the most vulnerable among us. 
Am really looking forward to reading Matt Haig's book to see what he has to say about my belief that:   Our 'mental illness' is a pretty natural response to a mad world.   Could it that by getting a clearer understanding of just what's going on, we could change the way we live and by so doing could bring about the change that the world so desperately needs. 
I love what American academic Howard Zinn said: Revolutionary change does not come as one cataclysmic moment (beware such moments!) but as an endless succession of surprises, moving zigzag toward a decent society.  We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change.  Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.'       
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good to have your feedback. Thanks for commenting.