Secrets and Hope in Our Mad World

Early in 2017 I read George Marshall’s book ‘Don’t Even Think About It: Why We are Wired Not to Think About Climate Change’ and I decided I would think about it. And I would read about it. Then I would write about it.

I write as a 'non-expert' and I'm hoping that your comments will help me to see whether the insights I've

gained make sense, whether the conclusions stack up and whether it's realistic for me to start feeling

hopeful about the future .

A Black Day for Democracy

It feels as if Wednesday 10th May 2017 is building up to be a black day for democracy.
I woke up to the news that Trump had fired James Comey, the FBI director, the man in charge of investigating the Trump campaign's connections with Russia.
Then came the news that the CPS are not going to take legal action against the Conservative Party candidates who it was alleged had made false declarations of expenses in the local elections. 'Battle buses' which had been brought into the area to support the local candidates had not been submitted as election expenses. Apparently those signing the expenses declarations didn't act dishonestly so no case can be brought. The Conservative Party has always insisted administrative errors were to blame. So even though the battle buses no doubt played an important role in gaining seats, those running the campaigns were ignorant and prone to administrative mistakes so were let off the hook!
All this comes at a time when the forthcoming general election seems to be presenting a pretty 'fluffy' picture of Teresa May – she and husband Philip received a pretty fawning interview on the One Show. He puts the bins out … there's boys jobs' and girls' jobs sort of stuff. Nothing about the desperate state of our schools and hospitals.

2 comments:

  1. "administrative errors" and they are the people who want us to let them run our country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps people will change their minds before the election and the Tories won't get the landslide the polls are predicting. A poll in the local paper in Derbyshire had a third of people undecided

    ReplyDelete

Good to have your feedback. Thanks for commenting.