Secrets and Hope in Our Mad World

Early in 2017 I read George Marshall’s book ‘Don’t Even Think About It: Why We are Wired Not to Think About Climate Change’ and I decided I would think about it. And I would read about it. Then I would write about it.

I write as a 'non-expert' and I'm hoping that your comments will help me to see whether the insights I've

gained make sense, whether the conclusions stack up and whether it's realistic for me to start feeling

hopeful about the future .

An Argos Catalogue for the rich!

Since I began my searching for understanding of our mad world,  the extent of inequality between the rich and the poor has become ever more obvious. Of course we know that inequality has always been with us and will, I guess, always be so.  But the obsenity of today's inequality as the cause of much of our world's misery, terror and instability is something which must be addressed if we are to have any hope for a better, fairer, world.   Or, I go so far as to think, if we are to have a future at all!
American author and journalist Mark Engler reported on a study of how millennials from a range of incomes spend their money over a seven-day period.  Some seemed to think nothing of frittering away $6,200 in one week on casual items such as a sushi dinner ($175), a birthday cake ($185), a trip to Disneyland or Hawaii. 
On top of that we have today's revelation in the Guardian that the Financial Times regularly carries a supplement which helps the rich to decide how to spend their money.  A sort of Argos catalogue for billionaires   Across the world as a whole, 1% now have half of all the world's wealth.
If you've got mega bucks to spend you might like to buy a watch in gold with diamonds and mother-of-pearl on alligator strap”, costing £12,870 or splash out on a sumptuous gastronomic tour of Spain by private jet, three days long from £6,995 per person.  For more mind-blowing ideas go to https://bit.ly/2LoKQUG.
Mark Engler says: ‘Statistics about the stark disparities we face become so commonplace that they lose their ability to shock’ and of the injustice of runaway inequality he adds ‘We should not allow ourselves to forget its obscenity.’
But, perhaps we should remember this obscenity, because the future of our planet depends on us doing something about it.  With money comes power and it now seems that the rich rule the world - our democracy has given way to plutocracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good to have your feedback. Thanks for commenting.